Thursday, July 13, 2006

Tight squeeze and playing games with the rich and the famous

Thursday -- today we cruised across the northern part of Lake Huron to reach Mackinac Island. Again, the water was completely calm and we had a nice ride over. The ride did get a little exciting as we approached Mackinac Island. As we approached the channel leading into the Marina, we heard a boat that was on anchor near the entrance radio another boat that a large ship was coming right at them. Well, knowing where the boats on anchor where -- right in front of me -- that meant that the large ship was right behind me. Sure enough, I look out my starboard side and there is the large ship coming up on me very fast. I immediately turned to my port to get out of the way and he passed without issue -- he would not have hit us (of course) but he would have been very close if I had not heard the other boats and moved out of the way.

We radioed the Marina and they gave us a slip assignment of slip #75. Sounds fine to me. So I make my way around the west side of the Marina and I see the dock hands waving me over. Our boat is 12ft wide and I'm looking at a slip opening that may or may not be 12ft wide. So, I just assume that these 18 year old college students with their summer job at the Marina that may or may not have taken college math yet which may or may not really care how I bumper boat into the slip, know that our boat is 12ft wide (much wider than a normal 32 "go fast"). I turned into the slip and made it in without too much trouble (kindof like a wedge -- center the bow and push the boat in). Turned out that I had abour 8 inches on each side of the boat -- not enough for my liking but 4 years of experience with this boat helped make it possible. We might need a tug to un-wedge us when we leave tomorrow.

Alex and myself walked over to the Grand Hotel to take a quick tour. The Grand Hotel charges $12 per person to walk through their hotel, but I just told Alex to pretend that we "belonged" there and follow me (if you saw how I normally dress -- shorts and t-shirt (holes in the socks, shirt, etc) -- you'd understand why Alex didn't think this would work - Alex thought we had a better chance pretending to be grounds keepers). We just walked past the "checkers" and proceeded to the "exclusive" grounds of the Grand Hotel ("exclusive" is not a term that I would use -- but the "stuffizes" staying at the hotel probably think so). As we walked, we noticed that they had a cricket field and a croquet field setup with all the equipment to play. So, at the dis-pleasure of Alex (a bit nervous at this time) -- we proceeded to play a nice game of cricket and croquet right in front of the great Grand Hotel. Now we can always say that we played cricket and croquet with the rich and famous at the Mackinac Island Grand Hotel.

I enjoyed a run around the island (8 miles) -- after not running for the last week.

Internet update -- Internet via the Aircard and cell phone service without the Booster/Antenna.

2 Comments:

Blogger athena said...

That's absolutely hilarious!!!!
Alex- I'm sure that grounds keepers don't play cricket OR croquet. =) =)
Thanks for a good laugh... =)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Team Brazo said...

yeah it was very fun have a great day

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home